Wednesday, February 27, 2013

27 February 2013

TAPS Designated National Song

I have a history on "Taps".  Father and son (I mailed to you) and here is one good thing.  As I can, here goes.... Father in the Union Army he did not know his son was fighting for the south.  Its night battle has let up some, the father hears sounds of pain not too far away.  He closes in and finds this soldier and carries him back to safety behind the lines with some lights the older man finds this wounded man is his son! The lad dies.  In going through his pockets the father find the notes.  He gets a musician, a bugler, to play these notes.  Sounds somber but a great tune or whatever they call a bugle call.  The father asks his commander could I have a burial service for my son (who is a confederate soldier) and have the music "Taps" played by the Union musician.  The commander after a time says "yes" so TAPS is born and first played at the grave side service of the man who wrote it on a piece of paper.  I think I am close to the true story.  Some time during the civil war.  Again, what are the odds-Father to find son in the ward zone, son dies, and TAPS is born and here we are 2013 and Taps is played at almost every military funeral.

-POP

No comments:

Post a Comment